Apostille Countries - Do my documents need to be legalised by the use of an apostille certificate? Quick assessment
The following countries are all members of the Hague conference and have entered into force Convention 12 of 5 October 1961, Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents. These countries that acceded to the above mentioned convention will therefore accept the Apostille Certificate (truncated chain authentication process ) instead of the more cumbersome authentication and embassy legalisation process. Countries not listed will have to undergo the more extensive time consuming authentication process. Please contact us for guidance and advice on a suitable process to follow in your specific circumstances.
Do my documents need to be legalised by the use of an apostille certificate? Quick assessment
The following check points should help you decide if you need an apostille.
- Are you using your documents in an official capacity? This includes business transactions, commercial deals, banking and personal matters when documents are needed abroad.
- Is the country your public document originate from listed below? All of the countries below recognise the apostille and request foreign documents are legalised correctly before they will accept them.
- Is the country you intend using the legalised document in listed below.
- Remember both the country of origin as well as the destination country must be listed below. If neither country or only one country is listed the lengthier chain authentication process must be followed. Possibly additionally to the above Embassy Legalisation will have to be done.
- Visit our embassy legalisation pages by clicking here or contact us more information.
- For help obtaining an apostille certificate please visit our how to order page.
- The apostille can be issued in relation to most South-African public documents and will allow the document to be used in any of the following countries.
How to Order your apostille.
Simply complete the order form available online by clicking here. Send or hand deliver your document with your original documentation to our address with your document and we will start processing your order straight away.
The following countries recognise and issue Apostilles for the international legalisation of documents. These are collectively known as ‘member countries of the Hague Apostille Convention’.
Albania, Andorra, Antigua & Barbuda, Anguila (UK), Aruba (NL), Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan
Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Bermuda (UK), Bosnia & Herzegovina, Botswana, British Antarctic Territory (UK), British Virgin Islands (UK), Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Kingdom of Bahrain, Republic of Burundi, Brazil
Cayman Islands (UK), China (only special administrative regions of Hong Kong & Macao), Colombia, Cook Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech-Republic, Cape Verde, Costa Rica, Curacao (NL), Caribbean part of the Netherlands (the islands of Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba)(NL), Chile
Dominica, Dominican Republic, Denmark
Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia
Falkland Islands (UK), Fiji, Finland, France
Germany, Gibraltar (UK), Greece, Grenada, Guernsey (Bailiwick of)(UK), Georgia
Iceland, Ireland (Northern), Isle of Man (UK), Israel, Italy, India
Japan, Jersey (UK)
Kazakhstan, Korea (South)(also called the republic of Korea), Kyrgyzstan, Kosovo
Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg
Macedonia (former Yugoslav Republic of), Malawi, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montserrat (UK), Maldova Republic, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco
Namibia, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles (NL), New Zealand, Niue, Norway, Nicaragua
Panama, Paraguay, Portugal, Poland, Peru
Romania, Russian Federation
Saint Lucia, Saint Helena (UK), Samoa, San Marino, Serbia, Seychelles, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Vincent & The Gernadines, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, South Korea, Sae Tome & Principe, Sint Maarten (NL)
Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, Turks & Caicos Islands (UK), Republic of Tajikstan
Ukraine, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America, Uzbekistan, Uruguay
Have Questions? Contact Us
Tel: 087 0010 733
Loftus Versveld Northern Pavillion (Gate12), 2nd Floor Office 4, 416 Kirkness Street, Arcadia, Pretoria